No longer turning away...

Thursday, September 17, 2015

I made a promise to myself a long time ago...

If I see someone struggling, or feeling hopeless and purposeless, I would not turn a blind eye to it. I would not just ignore what I was seeing.

I have not done a very good job of keeping that promise to myself.

Oh, I spend a ton of time advocating and spreading mental health awareness. I write posts here on this blog, and I post other articles, quotes, or info-graphics on my Facebook news feed. And one of the main reasons I do this, is so that other people know that they are not alone in their struggles...that someone else UNDERSTANDS.

But is that really enough?
So many things on social media can just be missed, or scrolled right through.

I've been thinking of one beautiful young lady in particular recently. She has been very heavy on my heart. I always watch for her...she is a very eloquent writer, but her words are filled with sadness and pain. And when I read them, my mind floods with memories of my own lowest points. I hear her heart, and I feel her hurts...because they have been my own too. I also see other words of "advice" written to her from incredibly well-meaning, but completely unaware people. And while they WANT to be encouraging, all they are doing is minimizing and invalidating her struggles...or making her feel bad FOR feeling bad. And the important people in her life who SHOULD be her strongest supporters, see very little value in her.

Been there...experienced ALL of that.

All I want to do is reach out to this girl. I want to let her know that she is SEEN
But then my typical excuse kicks in...

It's not the right time. I'll talk to her...just not yet.  

But that excuse is not okay anymore. Because she's running out of time...before the never-ending abyss of depression and anxiety swallows her whole. And then it will be too late.

So, I am asking for prayer as I reach out to her...
That I would have the right words to encourage her, and that she would be receptive to what I have to say. Also that I would be very sensitive to her own personal circumstances. As much as I can identify with her struggles, my walk is very different from hers. Right now, I need start off being as identifiable as I can to her, without making her feel like I'm "pushing" anything. I wish I could go into more detail, but I can't...it's just so hard to explain. But there are just certain things about MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE that will not be at all helpful to her...at least not right now.
Many of you know what I mean.

I always say I want to help people who suffer the way I did {and sometimes still do!}...
It's time to take a step forward, and do that!

1 comment :

  1. Emily, I just prayed over your situation and know that our God is an Amazing God and He can give you the strength and courage to step out in faith and be the words she needs to hear. I pray for His guidance with your words and I pray that her heart and ears would be receptive to listen to what you have to say and the words you have to bless her with. Please let us know how it goes. Thinking of you! - Mandi

    ReplyDelete