I value YOU, not your vote!

Friday, May 6, 2016

I tend to stay away from posting political memes, articles, statuses, etc. on social media.

I don't comment on other people's political posts either. I'm not interested in arguing with people. That is the complete opposite of who I am, and who everyone knows me to be! To fight with someone and to have them become angry at me is absolutely the worst feeling ever!

But...wait!

I have to stop and think for a minute. 
If someone is angry with me over my OPINION {and, let's be honest friends...a political stance is just that...an OPINION}, or if I become angry with someone else over theirs, how is that building our relationship and making it better?

I am ALL FOR advocating for your passions! I do it all the time {here on this blog in fact!}, and I constantly ENCOURAGE others to speak up for what they are passionate for. I love that! But if you post anything at all that you believe in strongly, you are opening yourself up to negative comments as well.
I've even gotten negative comments and opposing viewpoints myself, which I kind of expect, and yet at the same time it bothers me a lot. But why?

The fact is that I am WAY too concerned with being liked by everyone. 
And in the world we live, if someone doesn't agree with you, well, it MUST mean that they don't like you. I'm not saying everyone is like that, of course, but in many, many ways, that's what we see all over the place. 
So when someone gives me their opposing view, it stings a little and I feel like I have to defend myself, and then also word my response perfectly so that they don't think "less" of me. 

But, again...wait!

I have to remind myself that if people truly do respect me as an individual, a difference of opinion is not going to change my relationship with them. Or at least it shouldn't. And if it does, then it's not a real, deep, intentional friendship or relationship.

Some of my dearest friends in the world have different political views from mine. And we're perfectly aware of those differences. Does it change our friendship? No way! Because that's not what matters to us. Even in my extended family, I know for a fact that not everyone's perspective or opinion is going to be the same as mine. But that doesn't change the fact that I love them dearly and respect them as PEOPLE.

Personally, if I am actually asked about what I think, I tend to be very "middle of the road" politically. On some issues, I lean very far right, and on others I lean very far left. And still on some, I have no idea because sometimes it's just impossible to understand it all {ha}! But I don't label myself as REPUBLICAN or DEMOCRAT. That's not what I put my faith in. It's not what matters most to me. All of those things associated with politics are going to fade away eventually...and only the Word of God will remain forever. That's where my authority lies, and the Lord is to Whom I remain faithful. 

Is it important to form an opinion? Yes! Is it important to place your vote? Absolutely! But there is always, always, always going to be someone who doesn't agree with you, and with whom you will not agree. 

But here's what I'm trying to get across here...

My friendship with you...my relationship with you...is SO MUCH more valuable to me than your political stance!

The way I see it, politics are SO not worth jeopardizing a connection...or potential connection...you have with someone!
And I'm going to stop being so scared that if someone doesn't agree with me, it changes their view of me. Because if it DOES, well, then I'm not the one with the problem. And that's not a relationship I want to invest in. 

My perspective will always be, first of all, what would God have to say about this? And secondly, how would Jesus treat this person if they were standing right in front of him? 
My goal is to be the hands and feet of Jesus, and to live life INTENTIONALLY...and that's completely genuine on my end! That's not me trying to get everyone to like me more. That's me being the woman God has called me to be.

Choosing to be defined by my political stance is not how I want to live my life.
And it is not how I choose to see the people around me either. 
There is so much more to all of us than just that.

 

No comments :

Post a Comment